|Busay Falls circa 2002|
|(16 years old at Busay Falls. I'm wearing blue shirt)|
Lets go back to now, 1 of my friend/colleagues invited us to go to Merloquet Falls. I saw this falls already in some of the posting at my FB friends page and yes, it's quite thrilling to go and see it up front. Finally, I could really see the ever popular Merloquet Falls. Merloquet Falls is located in Sibulao. Sibulao is in Vitali. So it took us around 1 hour ride going to Vitali. From Vitali you need to enter another road going to Sibulao. I think maybe 30 minutes ride or more because we got lost. There are no sign board (as expected) and we got a bit lost. It's very far as compare to busay falls (san roque). Luckily the weather is cooperating, although there are some roads under construction but we arrived safe to our destination
Journey to Vitali went smoothly. No bumps on the road. The road to Sibulao, expect bumps and zigzag road. I almost throw up since our driver drives so fast. The distance from Vitali going to Merloquet falls probably about 7 to 10 KM or more. I'm not good at distance nor at Math. But it's far.
Then the fun begins when you arrived and start to hike. Left your vehicle in a parking lot provided. It's not the usual parking lot. I think the locals there start to make a living out of it. You need to pay an entrance, parking fees and a cottage fees. So yeah, have some money too. Just a small fee to help the residence.
Going to the falls, its not cemented anymore, it's made of red muddy soil, (how I described it). Too bad I didn't have a camera. The hike is going downhill. So better prepare but bonus part is they made some stairs and put some bamboo where you can grab. But I got so tired with going downhill as my knee hurts considering I have some ligament problem before. Its a 1 KM hikes going down and same path going back. So just be prepare.
|this is the 2nd floor|
1. If ever you wanted to go to Merloquet always have a guide with you. The best 1 are the local resident of Vitali.
2. Bring a car, jeepney, motorcycle etc 'cause public transpo is very rare in those area. I think 30 minutes down the road, we saw only 1 jeepney.
3. Never go there if the weather is bad due to muddy road and slippery trails.
4. Travel light. I suggest wear something comfortable and a good shoes. But I saw some bring their calderos and big pots...hehehe
5. If you have some knee injuries (like me) try to wear knee protector cos the ascending and descending are tough if you have knee problems. Some rocks are slippery. So watch your step.
6. And of course bring Money.
Things to do:
1. Pictures to the max 'cause it might be the first and the last you will go there considering the travel time and etc.
2. Swim and explore the 3rd and 4th level of the falls. If you are not afraid of heights (which I am, end up going to 2nd floor only)
3. Explore Vitali and buy some fresh shrimps and crabs too which is a bit pricey when you are in downtown.
4. Parking fees for big vehicle, 10 pesos while motorcycle, it's 5 pesos. Cottage fee is 100. Go early to avoid paying the parking fees. We went there like 9:00 AM so the person assigned to collect was not there yet..LOL
5. Lastly, do not bring any garbage, foods near the falls area. So preserved its beauty and uniqueness. Be a responsible traveler and protect nature ;-) DO NOT LITTER, BRING YOUR TRASH ALONG WITH YOU.
Hope you could come and visit Zamboanga ;)